I know, I know, this series has taken me way way way too long! Way longer than 10 weeks! I have to admit, I am growing oh so very tired of chili! But, I absolutely insist on finishing the series! This week’s chili was pretty decent. I couldn’t really taste the bacon in it, so I’m not sure I would make it with bacon if I made it again (no sense eating bacon if you can’t even taste it). Other than that, I enjoyed it, and I was pretty intrigued on the idea of bacon chili, so I’m glad I gave it a try.
- 12 ounces bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2, 16-oz cans black beans
- 1, 28-oz box chopped tomatoes
- 1, 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Brown bacon and ground beef in bottom of large pot.
- Drain most of excess fat.
- Add onions, garlic, red pepper, and spices, and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Can simmer for several hours (which is what I did here).
- This recipe was modified from a recipe I found at http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-chili-with-bacon-black-beans-208132 . Thanks for the inspiration!