This recipe is a bit of work, but it is delicious! We had it for lunch today – not sure why this is what sounded good on a hot summer afternoon, but it did. Hope you enjoy!
1.5 pounds chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, finely cut
1 cubanelle pepper, finely cut
4 garlic cloves, minced
2, 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup cilantro
- In advance, place chicken in crockpot on high for 4 hours. Shred when finished cooking. Store in fridge or use right away for chili.
- Take 1 cup of cannellini beans and a splash of the chicken broth and put in food processor. Process until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in large pot.
- Add onions and peppers and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add everything else except cilantro (chicken, bean mixture in food processor, beans, lime juice, and spices). Cook 10 minutes at a gentle boil.
- Add cilantro and cook 1 more minute.
Don’t look too close at my picture, I somehow only bought 1 can of cannellini beans at the store so I used a can of garbonzo beans too. It still tasted good!
Also, feel free to try with more lime juice if you like lime! And there can never be enough cilantro! 🙂