I made this delicious minestrone soup today for lunch! Probably not what you think of on a 90 degree Memorial Day weekend afternoon, but it was great! It is slightly different from regular minestrone since there is no pasta and I added ground turkey, but the flavor is the same. Hope you enjoy!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 zucchini, quartered and chopped
1 cup frozen french beans
2 stalks celery, halved and sliced
2 carrots, shredded
2 tomatoes, chopped
1, 15-oz can red kidney beans
1, 15-oz can white beans
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups fresh spinach
- Heat olive oil in large pot on medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook for less than a minute and add ground turkey. Cook until turkey is brown.
- Add the rest of vegetables (except spinach) and cook for 1 minute. Add beans.
- Add vegetable broth, water, parsley, and spices. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and continue simmering for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I modified this recipe from a recipe I found at: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=246310 Thanks for the inspiration!
The original recipe noted to not use chicken broth! Wanted to pass that tip on. Use vegetable broth, not chicken broth.