In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I am posting my favorite green soup recipe! Broccoli soup made with broccoli, spinach, and avocado! It is delicious green goodness!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (or a small scoop of pre-chopped garlic)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1-4 heads of broccoli, chopped (I find I need about 4 heads if I use organic since they are smaller, 1-2 if I use conventional)
3 cups fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot
- Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes
- Cook for about 6-8 minutes while stirring until onions are tender
- Add broth and bring to a boil
- Add broccoli and cook covered for about 5 minutes (or less) until broccoli is green and tender
- Stir in spinach
- Turn off heat
- Stir in avocado
- Puree with an immersion blender (or move to a blender)
- Season with salt and pepper
Broccoli cooks quickly so this recipe does not take long! I highly recommend making this delicious, fast, and easy soup!
My broccoli soup was inspired by a recipe I found at: http://www.marthastewart.com/1050712/creamy-broccoli-soup Thanks for the inspiration!